Specialists in Earwax Removal

Ear Infections

How To Help An Ear Infection

How Can I Reduce The Pain From An Ear Infection?

Ear infections often clear up on their own, after several days, without the need for medical attention.

If your infection hasn’t gone away and you’re waiting to see your GP, or if you want to manage the pain of your ear infection during this time, then there are things you can do to understand how to help an ear infection.

Firstly it’s important to know the type of ear infection you have. There are 3 parts to to you ear (outer ear, middle ear and inner ear) and each one can become infected with differing symptoms to manage.

Outer Ear Infection
(otitis externa)

Pain around your ear

Inflammation of the outer ear

Liquid discharge

Avoid getting your ears wet with earplugs

Speak to your GP or Pharmacist about medicated ear drops

Remove discharge/dampness by lightly swabbing you outer ear with cotton wool (not a cotton bud)

Pain relief such as Ibuprofen or Paracetemol. Just check with a doctor or pharmacist first

Middle Ear Infection
(otitis media)



Slight hearing loss

Discharge of puss / blood

Take your mind off it by watching TV, reading a book or playing a video game

Sleep on the unaffected ear

Neck exercises can reduce pressure in the ear canal

Hold something warm or cold against it. A pack of frozen peas or a hot water bottle will do

Pain relief such as Ibuprofen or Paracetemol. Just check with a doctor or pharmacist first

Gently blow dry your ear on a low setting after bathing/showering to dry off excess moisture

Inner Ear Infection


Hearing Loss

Room spinning (vertigo)




Blurred or double vision


A feeling of pressure in your ear

Liquid discharge

You should book seek medical attention if you feel you have an inner ear infection.

Pain relief is largely similar to a middle ear infection.

You should avoid driving, using tools and machinery or working at a height if you’re feeling dizzy

Want some more information on how to help an ear infection?

No problem.

You can call us on 01429 233 091 or visit the NHS website pages on the subject if you want some independent advice.